Cookies on the NLCCE

We use cookies to improve your browsing experience and help us improve our website. By continuing to browse this site, you give consent for cookies to be used. For more details, including how you can amend your preferences, please click here.




The Government introduced a new childcare funding of up to 30 hours in September 2017, doubling the Universal Entitlement of up to 15 hours’ childcare for working families.

This is for 3-4-year-old’s who live in England. You can now apply to see if you are eligible through the government website.
Eligibility Criteria

  • Your Child is 3-4-year-old. The funding starts the term after your child turns 3 (January/April/September)
  • You live in England
  • Both parents are working – Each parent earns, on average, a weekly minimum equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage (see government website)
  • One parent working in lone parent family (earning equivalent of 16 hours a week on National Minimum Wage including those receiving tax credits or Universal Credit – see government website)
  • Each parent must have an annual income of less than £100,000
  • Parents are on zero-hours contracts and/or self-employed (If you (or both of you in a couple) earn at least the equivalent of 16 hours at the National Minimum Wage)
  • One/both parent/s is away from work on leave (parental, maternal etc.)
  • One/both parent/s receiving Statutory Sick Pay
  • One parent is employed and the other parent has either: substantial caring responsibilities and/or disability; is a foster carer with their own 3 – 4-year-old children.
  • You will need to apply through the government website, not your Local Authority. This funding is regulated by HMRC.
  • You can apply for when your child is 2 years and 36 weeks old. However please be aware you may have to reconfirm your eligibility status before your child starts at their chosen provision
  • You will need to have your details (and your partner’s, if you have one) including your National Insurance number or Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), if you’re self-employed to hand when applying. You’ll find out if you’re eligible as part of your application. It usually takes 20 minutes to complete.
  • If you are eligible, you will receive an 11-digit voucher code that you will need to bring with you to your chosen provider as a proof of application. They will then verify that you are eligible for the funding through the Local Authority with your Voucher Code, Surname, Date of Birth, National Insurance (NI) Number or Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) so please be prepared for them to ask you for this.

To Apply, click here
You can also find out more on a new Childcare Choices website set up by HMRC. This also gives information about the new Tax-Free Childcare scheme and includes a childcare calculator so you can compare your different options.
If you need any further information regarding this childcare scheme or any other (Terrific Twos/Free Entitlement) please visit –

« News archive